Content is always KING:
- Follow the there rules of excellent content: Relevant, Usable, Dynamic – Up to Date
- If your content is bad, the app will be bad.
- You only have ONE chance to get it right. App store reviewers are merciless.
Benefits of an app:
- Designed specifically for the device
- Allows for Push notifications
- Discoverable on the iTunes Store / Android App Store
Downsides of an app:
- Each new platform adds incremental costs
- Changes must be made across all devices
- Limited to the number of devices you develop for
Upsides of a CSS driven mobile website:
- More platforms without incremental cost
- More likely internal web teams can create and maintain it
- No Push notifications
- Does not take advantage of the power of the device (harder to integrate GPS, etc.)
- Lots of up-front work identifying and coding CSS for multiple browser types
Who should create your mobile presence?
- Create in house ONLY if it’s your core competency. Don’t expect your web team to be app developers.
- Carefully vette your partners.
- Execute short term contracts – The state of the art changes every six months.
Questions? Write to wsw@msu.